Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Safety First!

OK....so I have a little pet peeve going on today.  (Yes, there's a huge back story...but we will save that for another time)....Now on with it....

Little Bit comes home from school today with a paper that they are going to do a tie-dye project at school.  (Yes, I am slightly jealous of this...I never got to do anything fun like this in school....we did the glue the string all over a ballon and make a funky egg shape...NO TIE-DYE)...but anyway. A t-shirt it is.  COOL, Right!!

On the paper, it clearly states that they can have their name air brushed onto the shirt too. Then there was a section like this:

____ NO Name
____ First Name Front
____ Last Name Front
____ First Name Back
____ Last Name Back


Child's Name _______________



OK...we will totally skip the fact that my said kiddo is in the middle of life in foster care and concurrent planning to adoption.....AND attachment issues that go along with said children in these situations.....



UMM, has anyone seen the news lately.  Three women were just found after they were kidnapped 10 years ago.... ALL OF THE police departments will tell you DO NOT put your child's name on his Backpack.., clothing, etc!  It just gives that bad-guy an easy in!  "HEY JOHNNY, come here... I gotta take you to your mom!"  Poor Johnny, thinks hmm uh, ok, you know my name..."Uh, sure, I'm coming!!"

So in my best, teacher, social-worker, safety advocate, parent hat.....this is what I did:

I checked the line for "First Name Front" and in the line for Child's Name I wrote 2013 ...then I wrote this note at the bottom of the page:

"Names on kids' shirts are not very safe - gives perp easy access.  "Hey ____, come here."  PLEASE use year as a keepsake for LitteBit."

SO, I have to ask:  What would you do??

No comments:

Post a Comment