Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2016

OVERCOMER

I anticipated this book (OVERCOMER) for many reasons but I would have to say the primary one is how I came to “know” Dorsey.  You see, my very own surprise blessing was born June 2015 with Apert Syndrome.  His condition was a total shock to his birth parents, who like Dorsey’s didn’t want to give up on him.  However due to the society in their home country, they know they couldn’t parent him and give him the medical care he would need in his life.

So, fast forward a few months, I saw Dorsey on the Apert support group and couldn’t wait to be able to see how a boy became a wonderful man of God traveling and doing ministry.  They other ‘funny thing ‘ is we are part of the same denomination.  Just separated by 1200 miles. So, I jumped at the opportunity to get a copy of the book to review.

The day it arrived I sat eager to see what life was life for him and what to expect for my son.  Now, I have always felt that God has a plan for my little man and that he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him.  I also have known, that disabilities and differences only mean different ability…not inability.  That goes back to my childhood and my good friend that grew up with cerebral palsy doing everything we did, just sometimes differently.

So, onto Dorsey.  It was really refreshing to see how this man has faced over 60 surgeries in his life not become bitter but rather a vessel for God to use.  He could have easily given up when adversity came at him.  In fact his life was being attacked from the moment he took his first breath.  From doctors telling his parents they should just sign him over because he’d be brain dead soon anyway.

Dorsey does an excellent job reminding his readers of God’s word and Truth that comes in seemingly simple moments in life,  that life is not easy….and God never promised that.  He promised He would work all things for His good and His purpose.  If we will just listen.

I highly recommend this book for everyone.  Weather you are facing a small challenge in life, have a child with special needs, or if you need a reminder to re-find your purpose and calling.  It is going to be an encouragement for everyone that takes the opportunity to read it. 

Lastly, I am a foster/adoptive mom to several children with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and one with autism.  As a single woman embarking on this challenge I was told to give up many times.  I felt like I wanted an boost to keep going.  To keep listening to God’s call, even when I stumble and fall, say things I shouldn’t, or have a bad day.  This was great encouragement that I will surely pick up again from time to time for reminders in the future.


Oh and yes, I know a little of what my son faces in the future.  A chance to listen to God call, opening the doors He wants open and following Him throughout life and what it may bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment