Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

CAMP

I am so excited to be a part of The Camp Movie launch team.  I just had the chance to preview the movie.  I couldn't wait to see it before....now I want to drag everyone I know off to the theatre!


Honestly, our church has been involved in Royal Family KIDS Camp and I wanted to volunteer but haven't been able to get the time off to go.  I have heard the stories and have witnessed the changed hearts and minds of volunteers.  But nothing will prepare you like this film.

(Side note...we have a weekly 'dinner & movie' night at our house...and I decided to let my foster children watch this with me.  I was not sure about doing that because they are 6 & 8...but then I felt that they have lived the life like the kids in this movie....so they have probably witnessed worse. And I don't regret my decision at all!!)

As the movie starts, we get a brief look into Eli's life.  There are suggested things that went over my kids.  (Eli's mother dressed for a "date" or more likely work prostituting herself as well as the implied beating with a broom handle that Eli received at the hand of his father.) Poor Eli experienced a 10th birthday like no one should...his one gift was a ride in ambulance and a journey into foster care.

We also meet our leading 'adult' Ken who decides that to land another client he will go along with volunteering at summer camp.  He breaks every rule, runs into a girl from high school, and falls in love.    His rebellious side has to test every limit.  Which makes his pairing with Eli perfect.  These two push every boundary and test the waters constantly.

The real breakthrough come when Eli finally jumps into the pool.  At the moment he drops his towel, you can see the fear in his eyes.  Eli pushed past that fear of rejection and embarrassment of the scars his little body hides (both physical and emotional) and as he does, the connection between Eli and Ken is made...and there is no turning back!

One of my favorite lines of the movie is when Ken realizes his "whole life is fake and camp is real."

Again, I do not regret allowing my young kids the chance to join me in watching this.  Also, as a former social worker in child protective services, I can assure you - yes, unfortunately these things happen.  And they happen more than they ever should.  However, God placed a burden into the hearts of Wayne and Diane Tesch and the lives of children across our nation can be changed one week at a time.

Watch the trailer below, pray, and get involved in joining to help the millions of kids in foster care!!


The Camp Movie Trailer






No comments:

Post a Comment