Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Christmas in July

CHRISTMAS IN JULY!

Ok, so maybe it isn't really that early...but it feels really early to be putting up Christmas decorations to me!  Perhaps it is because traditionally I do this the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving...  Why do I do it then?

Have you ever heard this:

A young woman was preparing a ham dinner. After she cut off the end of the ham, she placed it in a pan for baking.

Her friend asked her,"Why did you cut off the end of the ham"?
And she replied ,"I really don't know but my mother always did, so I thought you were supposed to."

Later when talking to her mother she asked her why she cut off the end of the ham before baking it, and her mother replied, "I really don't know, but that's the way my mom always did it."

A few weeks later while visiting her grandmother, the young woman asked, "Grandma, why is it that you cut off the end of a ham before you bake it?"

Her grandmother replied, "Well dear, otherwise it would never fit into my baking pan."


So, yes truthfully, I have always waited until the weekend after Thanksgiving to decorate because my mother did.  I am not sure why she did....other than I am pretty sure my dad didn't want to live in Christmas too long.

I generally wait to take everything down too.....just to enjoy it.  So I decided we will go ahead and put it up early this year.  Last year was two of my boys' "first" Christmas.  They were in awe of everything that was Christmas....and so when they began asking....I just decided "WHY NOT!"  As it is, I now have their little sister here and I know that they are SO excited to share everything they have experienced this past year with her.  

.....and.....Honestly, I can't think of a better way to bring Christ into our new home then by beginning to prepare for his birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment