Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dinner & A Movie

We had such a great evening tonight! I had the honor of having my friend and 11 of her kids over for a "picnic" dinner and a movie.  I know most people would assume 14 children and two moms to supervise might be crazy hectic.... But here's proof:

It was lots of fun!  And as I am typing this, I realized this is Allison's life everyday.  There are 14 children in my living room..... Such blessings from the Lord.  I am honored to have this family as my friends!!

We had summer sausage, cheese, crackers, fruit, veggies, chips, and popcorn.... and watched TURBO.  The kids had fun.  My three had brought down blankets, pillows, and beanbag chairs, all to have lots of space so their friends could be comfy.

As an extra treat I made chocolate cake. The recipe for "Wonder Cake" has been around my family for years.  The great thing is there is no dairy product in this. (Perfectly safe for her kiddo with allergies.) and last night I decided to make a small one with gluten free flour for her and her kiddos with gluten issues.  She loved it, the kids all loved it. And I got to share the recipe too. And before I share with you, I have to share this comical exchange that took place while I was dishing cake. 

ME: I have gluten free cake too, but I don't think you (older kids) want that.
KID 1: (In his 5yo accent) I want gwooten fwee cake
ME: ok I will bring you some
KID 2: Momma I want some good and sweet cake too!


God I love kids!! And yes, I told Allison... You realize that's blog-able! She gave me permission.... And said she might link to it (Check her blog out at SchummExplosion if you haven't yet!)

And I think she may have done better at tellin the story.... But in any case, you got mine.  Now I'm going to finish watching my dog on clean-up duty! (He's in heaven!) 

Here's the Wonder Cake:

WONDER CAKE RECIPE
Single recipe in 8” square pan (my gluten free one was a little flatter b/c I baked it in a 9"square...Allison said it was brownie-ish...of course some of that might have been the kids jumping around last night while it was baking too!  LOL!)
1 ½  cups  flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Sift all into pan and level off. Make 3 dents. In first, put 6 tablespoons salad oil, in 2nd dent put 1 teaspoon vinegar. In 3rd dent put 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Pour 1 cup of water over all and stir with fork till lumps are gone.

Bake 35 minutes in 350 oven.

Can be doubled and baked in 13x9 pan.

2 comments:

  1. My eyes are watering, I love you and your kiddos so much! I am so thankful that God has given me such a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so blessed to know you all! God knew we needed each others friendship for sure!

    ReplyDelete