Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Christmas Joy....and pain

So I have been sitting in my bed this morning cruising the internet Pinterest.  I really love Christmas.  Last year was two of my boys' first Christmas with me.  OH MY, did they get to see what Christmas can (and should in my humble opinion) be.  They have already begun the excitement of being able to share the joy with their sister.

Christmas is really a time to remember the gift God gave each of us by sending His son.  What a gift. The Lord sacrifices and our sins forgiven.....now there's the JOY! We can have a restored relationship with our heavenly father because of the sacrifice of Christ.

I have been trying to come up with some great crafts to do together. Which for this crafty-type really isn't much of a challenge.....frankly I think I just overloaded all my Pinterest followers as I think I repinned a hundred things.  You see I can paint, use power tools,  hot glue, glitter, Photoshop, a sewing machine, and a gazillion other things.  And if I haven't done it...I'm not afraid to try it!!  So this morning's quick look-see turned into an hour and a half and lots of early coffee!!    But I had to stop.  Not because I ran out of room, time, or desire to search for more.  But because my heart began to ache.

You see, one of the things I was wanting to do with the kids is a craft for their mom.  In the world of foster care and (open) adoption, it is good to allow the children to maintain these connections.  I want them to be able to give their mom something.  I have come up with a plethora of ideas: picture book, framed photo, Christmas ornament, hand or thumb print crafts, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and........   OK so you get the point.  My dilemma is this: Mom is living in her car.  She had been living in her car for the better part of this year.  So, I am not sure what to make.  I want it to be small enough that she will be able to keep it with her if she chooses and durable so it won't get easily crushed.

Now, the rest of my heart ache comes from knowing that in all the joy of the season....just like many days; it brings my children sadness, pain, unresolved trauma, hurt, fear, unlabeled emotions, all squished in with their happiness and joy.

The journey of foster care is not an easy one.  Not for us parents and not for the children....not for anyone. No matter the role.  I am sure God, even though "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will” (Ephesians 1:5) has to walk through heart-ache and pain....as His children are hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment