Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

LIghtbulb....

Ok, so we have all had those "lightbulb" moments, right??  I had one of my own today.  Of course not the first one....but just another one of many.

You see recently (about 6 weeks ago) I received a diagnosis for Iron Man.  When this came back, I have to admit I was surprised.  Surprised, not at the fact that he was alcohol affected in utero, but at the severity of his FASD.  I was very certain that his diagnosis was going to come back with a FAE - or effect..... but, not full-blown FAS.  Well, I was wrong.

I have thought I was somewhat knowledgable in FASD until now.  I knew alot of basics.  However there has been more and more research in this area and I am enjoying learning more each day.  However today, while crusing around on Facebook, I read this post by Jeff Noble over at https://www.facebook.com/fetalalcoholforever:
A person living with Fetal Alcohol's brain is like that light bulb in your house with a short in it. Sometimes it works perfectly and shines all day, other days it flickers on and off. Then there are those days when no matter what you do the light is not coming on.
Realizing this might be the case for your loved ones will allow you to react with appropriate interventions and save you a boat load of stress.(hopefully)
OH! <ping>.......Oh, wow.....

I think I will let you sit on that for a moment.....

NOW, I can't even to begin to express the frustration that a parent or a teacher has in the moment when you KNOW that kiddo is perfectly capable of DOING the task at hand....come on they have done it a bazillion times....yet the look you get....  AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  Those of you that are living with this will get me.  In fact, I sent that post to my daughter's teacher today. and her words were.... "OH, yes! That describes her perfectly!!!"  She went on to thank me for the info...which I am glad to provide.

Now, Lord, please grant me the patience to remember my children are living with an incurable developmental disability....a traumatic brain injury that had lifelong lasting effects....and they will probably not be able to function without supervision until they are 30 years old....give me the ability to discern the flickering days from the 100-watt-ers and to eliminate my frustration by imagining what their daily frustration must be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment